About The Guest:
Andy Thompson, also known as Rainmaker, is a cybersecurity professional and a research evangelist at CyberArk. With over 20 years of experience in the industry, Andy has a background in systems administration and website design. He is an active member of the cybersecurity community and is heavily involved in the Dallas Hackers Association (DHA), where he serves as the MC and co-organizer of the monthly meetups. Andy is passionate about mentoring and helping others get started in the industry.
In this episode, Phillip Wylie interviews Andy Thompson, a cybersecurity professional and research evangelist at CyberArk. They discuss Andy's journey into the industry, the importance of community, and the role of public speaking in cybersecurity. Andy shares his experience with Dallas Hackers Association (DHA) and how it has helped launch many speaking careers in the cybersecurity field. He also provides valuable advice for those looking to get started in cybersecurity and emphasizes the significance of networking and being part of a community.
- Dallas Hackers Association (DHA) has played a significant role in launching speaking careers in the cybersecurity field.
- Public speaking skills are valuable in the industry and can help differentiate individuals from the crowd.
- Toastmasters and improv classes are great resources for improving public speaking skills.
- Being part of a community and networking are crucial for getting started in cybersecurity.
- Twitter is a valuable platform for staying updated on the latest hacks, vulnerabilities, and industry news.
- "The best way to become part of the information security hacking industry is to be part of a community." - Andy Thompson
- "Networking really will get your foot in the door in ways that traditional job hunting won't allow you to do." - Andy Thompson
Socials and Resources: